Here is as simple an example as you could ask for to illustrate how SunTrust is cheating their own customers. I recently opened a SunTrust account close to my employer in TN so I could avoid the $7 fee for cashing my paycheck.

I opened the count with $100. I wrote a check for $30, then my wife mistakenly withdrew $80. OK, no big deal. Honest mistake. I figured we would just pay the $36 fee and move on.

But somehow they charged me a $36 fee on BOTH of the above transactions! Even though either one alone should not have resulted in an overdrawn account.

We made 3 total transactions related to this account.

There was one $100 deposit.

There was one $30 check.

There was one $80 ATM withdrawal.

After the bank bounced the $30 check and charged two $36 fees this resulted in a balance of -$52.

I would have been fine with paying either one fee for bouncing the check or one fee for overdrawing the account via the ATM, but how do they justify charging fees for both when one or the other would have easily cleared without the other.

I guess it is a good thing I didn't make ten $11 transactions, huh? Would they have charged me $36 for each one.

I went to the branch where I opened the account and asked for an explanation. I am not sure the staff there even knew what happened. The best they could guess is that there was a hold placed on the amount withdrawn from the ATM, then the check bounced resulting in a fee, then the hold was released on the ATM money, but the NSF fee was already there so another fee was charged for the ATM transaction. The manager said there was nothing he could do about it.

Needless to say, I will not be depositing anything else into this account or trying to use it for anything.

I recommend we all dump these bank crooks and either open credit union accounts or keep our money in our coat pockets. I'd rather deal with pickpockets than these white collar thieves. In any case, stay well clear of SunTrust. If they fail this one, very simple test I am sure they have much bigger and complex ways of swindling people foolish enough to "trust" them with their money.

Review about: Suntrust Checking Account.

Comments