1.5K views

I had read all the posting on Bank of America. Well I just want to tell you that Suntrust is not much better.

Just recently I started seeing "extended" overdraft fees. This is now policy that should you have overdraft anything in your account for more that 7 days, you will get an additional $36 added as a fee. Even if its an item as small as $3.00 Which is what happened to me.

Should there be a cap/percentage according to the dollar amount that bounced.

I mean $3!!! That is insane! My $3 dollar item ended up costing me $75! What can we do??

Anything?

and has any one taken the time to research who has the cheapest fees and now apparently "exteded" fees? I would like to hear if so!

Comments

the overdraft fee is $36. you made a purchase overdrafting your account by $3. How are you getting a $75 fee?

to Anonymous Valrico, Florida, United States #903558

Say they have direct deposit, and overdraft 3 days after payday. Their next check won't be deposited for 11 more days.

Suntrust will charge an ADDITIONAL $36 fee for the "extended overdraft".

So the $3 cost them the initial overdraft fee of $36, and 7 calendar days later, another $36 fee. Seems like it can't really be legal.

Hollywood, Florida, United States #854551

I would close my account with the bank to avoid any more extended overdraft nonsense. If they overdrafted you once and left it at that you could actually get back on track.

The extened overdraft fees just make it worse and harder to catch up. Show your disdain by cancelling your account to avoid continual nonsense which will just break you even further.

to EJ Stanley, North Dakota, United States #997393

They won't let you close account while a balance is owed

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #829362

SUNTRUST BANK IS NOT WORTHY OF ANY CONSIDERATION. THEY HAVE FRAUDULENTLY TAKEN MY PENSION MONEY AFTER STATING THAT THEY WOULD NOT.

Suntrust is a worf in sheeps clothing. Since we began banking with Suntrust we have had nothing but issues with money.

It seems no matter how hard we cut back on expenses we still ended up in the negative. My husband gets paid once a month so what we get we live off for 30 days and we have many bills, debt and 4 kids..We use our debit card for everything but also follow it online, but with Suntrust you cant reply on online banking as they "process" debits&credits for days, up to a week and rearrange the order all the time. Lately its become so bad we cant even pay our regular monthly bills and debts without worry, we seen to run out of money in a few days.I could not understand how we could be so off. the more we put in the more we loose..

We look online and all looks good one day, then the next we are out of money and in the negative by hundreds.. This past month I decided to test them out and watch exactly how its all "processed' and I found the problem. We had $300 in our account but needed to pay our electric bill & food shop, so we sold our ipad and a phone for extra cash. The money went from paypal into our account on the 8th (we seen it show online) and we had over $1,000 to spend.

We paid our bills and took out some cash from the ATM but did not go over the money we had in our account. Well Suntrust held that deposit in processing for 2 days and everytime we logged in we seen another debit that we did after the deposit added before with of course a overdraft fee. After they hit us with enough overdraft fees to make the deposit not enough then they added the paypal money and then again more debits with overdraft fees. We added money two more times but no matter how hard we try to spend under the amount we put in, the order of our debits somehow organized by Suntrust to put us in the negative over and over again and we never have enough because they just keep taking and taking.

This month alone Suntrust charged us a total of $1,200 in overdraft fees, return check fees (we only wrote out 2 checks for our kids boys scouts and football and we had the money when we did) oh and the new extended overdraft fee all because they held our deposit and like to play with the order of our money. When we just had enough and decided to stop banking with them we gave up adding money and our debit card was rejected we went from -$400 on the 4th (last day of any debit) to -$1.242 by the 9th when they finally could not charge us any more since there was no activity for 5 days.. We did not use our account for 5 days but everyday our balance grew and grew and nothing changed. Normally we would worry argue and borrow money from every place and person to keep the negative balance from growing but this time we said no more we are leaving and did not add any money since they actually owed us from the way we seen it..

But yet they still increased our negative balance so much without us even using the account for 5 days!! How is it possible that a American business, a bank can do this to a family with children that struggle already to survive? Now we are negative $1240 but 1200 is all fees... Our kids did nothing this summer but sit at home, we are late on all our bills and in more debt them we started out with and we didnt even spend money we actaully cut back and budgeted as much as we possibly could.

My 5 year old has not has eczema for 3 years but now since we cannot afford to get his detergent and we have all been super stressed out its back. I can name many ways Suntrust bank set us back n ruined our lives..I am outraged and furious that i allowed them to steal our money for over a year and did not notice it. We were so busy trying to cut back and fight with each other that we didnt even notice their scam, besides how can a bank actually do this legally we thought it was our fault. We are not perfect we make mistakes but this is just immoral and wrong!

SUNTRUST BANK are scammers in a suit! And their name alone is a joke! I want to out them anyone have any advice? We switching banks but i still have this negative balance that i need resolved and would like to look into the last year and see how much money they scammed us out of with fees due to their rearranging our money.

I only wish I had a printer to prove how the online banking always changes. I do have a lot of receipts maybe that will help..

Don'tTrust Suntrust! And watch out SunTrust im coming for you!!!

Richmond, Missouri, United States #655746

The Banks in the UK did this to people and the courts made them pay everyone back.. It is so wrong that it should be fixed..

They use words like 'Procedure' because they can.t use the word 'LAW' .. I have had Suntrust pay Netflix out of my account and I called twice to tell them to stop payment and yet here I am over drawn again .. Twice they paid and put me over $5 and I have 2 x $36 charges.. This i daylight robbery..

I am not going to pay it back as I have asked them to stop the payment.. I will make a massive stink about this and use What happened in the UK as a piont of fact about banking.. The Law is all under the same law as the Crown Of England.. Look at the Gold around the Flag in court rooms...

So justice should be seved the same.. Fair Play is what makes a bank worth staying with .. This is some arseholes money making plane that no one is kicking up a fuss about... Please email me if you are wanting to find a lawer who will take on the banks for fair play and stop this *** from happening to so many people..

Or just close the bank account and go to check cashing places instead.. America is the land of 'Rip you off' and American people are so *** you are letting them do it to you ..

she could withdraw my $14 to regain my business. but she never try to be helpful.

:( :( :( :( The Suntrust bank I went to this morning is located at Duluth, GA. The korean lady Sunny Kim has such a bad attitude, they just dont want our business!!! i dont mean everyone there is as mean as her, but overall she really pissed me off!

Now you also have to watch out for Suntrust because on pay day, your "extended" overdraft fee doesn't appear, so you think you have one balance, but after that purchase the next day, wha-lah - it's another $36 charge and where you thought you had $10 left, you now have minus $26 in your account. Oh and if you are broke until next pay day...that will be another $36 in the extended overdraft fee AGAIN... :(

to Suntrust's credit - if you have an accident and overdraft your account, they will sometimes work with you and waive or refund the extended overdraft if you call and ask. no guarantee but there have been circumstances where they will waive it as a customer service gesture... OR if you end up with multiple $36 fees because one thing bounced and it caused a domino effect for other items for which the money there when you made the purchase.

Banking fees are confusing to most and most consumers get mad when banks charge them fees for using the banks money. Extended overdraft fees are charged because you have borrowed the banks money for an extended period of time.

I realize that overdrawing your account $3.00 and being charged $36 is costly, BUT look at it this way if you stopped using your debit card and only dealt in cash every week (get cash at an ATM or Teller window) this would never happen. If you took $20 cash and spent $10 at your local store and then went to the gas station the next day and pumped $13.00 worth of gas you WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PAY.

Instead most people use their debit card and really have no idea if they have the money or not or in some cases they know they do not have enough and just hope the bank will pay and then get mad when there is a fee. Another tip go to SunTrust and tell them to decline your card if youhave no money, they do have that option because I have it, then you won't be charged, you also won't get whatever your trying to purchase.

I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts about this. The readings of similar experiences let me exult some maddening frustration when I came home to see if my check had been processed yet only to find that I was charged $36 more dollars for an 'extended' overdraft fee.

I have a full time job, and I get payed biweekly at $430 a paycheck. Come to my surprise, Netflix charged me the day I payed KUB off, which set my account to negative $3, which was the day after I'd been payed. I called Netflix to see about a refund, so that I could resume my subcription after I'd been payed, and after being told 'yes no problem I just need more info,' the third time I described my situation they declined but offered I could cancel my subscription now and resume later.. How about I cancel that subscription and use the $36 that could have gone to you to necessities instead? So, having an account at negative 39 dollars after the fee, I'd planned to deposit my next check asap so that that wouldn't be outstanding.

So here I am. At negative 78 dollars after the *** extended fee without any money, having already deposited my check waiting to run on $350 for two more weeks, excluding due bills and other payments.

I'm going to calmly go to Suntrust Monday, withdraw all my money, and stop using their services. This is just too much, ***, I make so little it may behoove me to keep all my cash stashed in a sock, I wouldn't even need a pair.

get this, i made a deposit yesterday. it posted this morning...after my extended over draft fee.

I swear I thought Suntrust had a deposit before credit policy. Im serious.

My account online says the deposit posted and then charges me $36 for an extended overdraft fee. not happy...

After banking with what is now Suntrust since they were Bank of Virginia (I believe) ... I was astounded to hear of an "extended overdraft fee"!

With bank technology being what it is today ... I would prefer to be embarrassed at the register, rather than being charged an overdraft fee and an extended overdraft fee.

If it was possible to just cash my paycheck without enormous fees ... I would go back to the days after the Great Depression and but a pack of socks and hiding money in my house.

Regardless of what any big business says ... their main goal is to turn a profit ... and most of their practices are unscrupulous ... the banking system included.

Squiggle

Hi Ed, I have the exact same problem you had for Christmas. December 23rd 2009 I paid off a lot of bills a 750 school bill followed by a 483 rent bill.

I was still using my account for small things such as food and Christmas gifts but I checked and double checked my online account to make sure that I never went over. What ended up happening was I spent a little too much on Christmas gifts and I discovered this on December 28th so my credit card bill that I had already submitted was going to bring my account over by 30 dollars. When I checked (and did not use my sun trust account) between the 28th and the 3rd everything was in order. Charges posted accordingly and everything went down how it was supposed to go down.

On the 3rd the only charge that was still pending was my credit card bill. At this point in time my 750 school bill posted leaving me around 453 in my account listed as BOTH ACTIVE AND CURRENT AMOUNTS (I had to deposit 40 just to get it up to 483 which is what my check was for) so logically thinking over the next couple of days my 39 credit card bill was going to post taking me under 36 dollars plus another 36 for over draft. I goto the bank on the 4th to deposit 400 and when I check my account that day they say I'm -420! I checked my bank records again and it shows that all of my old charges from the beginning of the statement period that were ALREADY POSTED were now moved to the END of my account and they were all my smallest charges.

So instead of doing 1 36 dollar overdraft fee i had 8 2-3 dollar fees. And I know that this is incorrect because when I was looking at my records they didn't match up at all i.e. the new records said when I paid my 750 school bill I had over 600 active and posted instead of the original 453 (if i was at 600 when that bill posted I wouldn't have had to of worried about putting in the extra 40 needed to cover my rent). So all in all I went to complain naturally and all I got was a 30 minute lecture on how pending charges work no matter how I tried to explain that nothing on my list was pending and "reassurance" that it is IMPOSSIBLE for suntrust to move funds like I stated they could (I have a masters in computer science and I know *** well how easy it is to setup a small algorithm like this) eventually they took off 2 of the 8 overdraft charges saying that was all they could do for me.

I agree 100% with what you are saying that they have their online system set up to wait for you to go under and when you do it finds a few recent small charges that they can move over to make it look like you owe a lot more then you should. This whole situation really screwed me over for the next 2 months as because of this I no longer have enough money to pay THIS months rent AND because of having to pay so much money another check I wrote out about 4 months ago that just so conveniently posted last week took me under 100 again along with a new fee that they call the extended overdraft fee which charges you 36 after 5 days of being in the negative.

This bank is a huge scam and I recommend to anyone in it... leave.

This bank is a huge scam and I recommend to anyone in it... leave.

I with you. I don't mind paying, if owed. But to be charged twice and so much is obscence.

Yes, they are in the business to make money, but they seem to forget the fact that they are using our money to make it. And most people I know have free checking and therefore are not gaining any interest on their accounts. So the banks are winning all around. I bet they get interest on any monies they use to conduct their business.

Like you said, "Penalized for being poor." Always and Forever

On a separate incident, I actually went into the bank and was made to feel as if I was lying. The teller I interacted with had the nerve to imply that I told her two different stories. Like I was changing my story in midstream trying to convince her. I was so angry that I left the bank fuming. The last few times I went into the bank I didn't see her. So hopefully, she has moved on to a more suitable profession, like wrestling bears.

:zzz

I have also been hit with these crazy charges (though not as much as my friend here) and I've figured out their game (or should I say scam).

Allow me to explain…

I use my card a lot to make purchases for my business and many of them are under $30 (usually internet related software etc) and I monitor my account online every single day

The problem is that I might make 10 purchases one day, then a few more a week later, and when I go to check my online reports - only 3/4 of them have gone through so the balance they show me is actually much higher than what I actually have

The way they arrange it on the page makes it all seem easy to understand, but the truth is that out of 20 purchases I might make within the span of a couple of weeks, only 15-17 of them are actually processed. The rest are held until you have a low enough balance that they can bombarded you with charges. I’ve even seen charges that appeared one moment and gone the next day, only to reappear later.

SunTrust’s online systems have held reporting on purchases for as long as a week and a half! What

I notice after is that once my account is low enough - BAM - they put the rest of the original charges through.

I make very small purchases and I've been hit with fees as high as $70+ for a purchase valued under $20 (my web hosting account for instance) because they use this method. I have been trying to start up a small business for almost a year now and I don't have the money to put thousands of dollars into my account, so I try and manage it the best I can.

But with their online tools… that's impossible.

What’s even better is when they tell me “No we didn’t pay it, but you still owe the overdraft fee”.

For what? Being POOR?!

If they had paid the charge I’d almost understand the fee, but they charged me a fee because I was poor and didn’t have enough to pay it.

They charged me to decline a purchase I made. Thanks SunTrust!

This has only happened to me a couple of times (trying to be extra careful), but it JUST happened to me again last week. This makes it 3 times now in one year. This time I realized their trick though. I’m changing bank accounts after the holidays!

UPDATE: Now get this. I bring two separate client checks (a few thousand each) into my SunTrust account this week in hopes of buying a few extra Christmas gifts for my 3 boys, but they have placed a hold on them until the 7th of Jan.

Their reason?

“Because you have over drafted 3 times”!

The teller at the bank said it was because of the amounts (I’ve deposited larger checks from the same state mind you), but when I called their office I was told it was because of my overdrafts.

They’re holding it for 16 days.

This is simply no way to treat the people that help support you.

My point is that… YES… you are right and it’s the customers’ responsibility to keep a register and track everything, but we’re only human.

Just because YOU have a big brain doesn’t mean that everyone has the same advantage as you. Some people simply have trouble processing information like this, but it doesn’t mean they deserve to be ROBBED like this.

There are always two sides to every story. We’re both just looking at the same story from different perspectives