SunTrust Bank's Bad Practices

Jan 12, 2008
review #110730

In response to the complaint against SunTrust Bank by Kathleen of Nashville: Thank you for submitting your complaint because SunTrust has a history it seems of not putting their customer first. My experience with SunTrust is worse than yours.

In 2002 I purchased my home through SunTrust Bank. All the paperwork was ready for closing until the day before closing when the person who was selling called in and changed the sell price, adding another $1200. Guess what, SunTrust made the change and did not notify me. They breached the contract and I got the Federal Reserve involved who investigated and found them guilty. HUD also found them liable for what was done. Ever heard of a 2nd closing, neither have I but SunTrust tried to do it - the seller refused - he got his money and that was all she wrote.

I filed criminal charges against SunTrust and complaints with HUD, Federal Reserve, Georgia Dept. of Banking and Financing, among others. After this experience with SunTrust, my advice to anyone considering doing business with SunTrust is DON'T. Rather than the client being their primary interest, anyone can call in and request a change to a consumer's account and SunTrust will allow it, at least they did with my account increasing the sell price by $1200. In short, SunTrust enriches others and ignores their customers.

SunTrust in my opinion should be sued for their corrupt practices against their clients and be ordered by the courts to compensate those who were wronged by their unscrupulous practices.

Shelia

Kingsport

ab5536b
Had an experience with Suntrust?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
stillhere

Apr 02, 2013

All banks are necessary evils, and Suntrust is among the worst in customer service along with BOA, Wells Fargo and all of them. I went into a Suntrust branch last Friday to open a checking account with CASH ($1320 just to get started). I did it at a Publix super market branch. I decided to use Scumthrust because they have branches everywhere I travel on business in case I ever would need ATM cash or something (no fee, their card?). I opened the account Friday, and nothing seemed to be wrong at all. I got the email from them on Saturday to activate my online banking, and I did, and I saw my $1320 balance there, but it did say unavailable, which seemed odd to me since I opened the account in CASH.

On Sunday, when I tried my ID and pass word online, it said the system was down for maintenance, which was also odd, for I have always known most banks to shut down for maintenance during evening hours. I did nothing Monday since I was busy, but Tuesday morning, TODAY, I decided to go online again and check things because I had a funny feeling about things, and it would not let me in, and a chat box popped up. So, I chatted with a young, clueless, girl, and after I suggested I give her my acct number and the last 4 of my SSN so that she could check things out, she then said the account was closed last Friday. I then said, I just opened it and logged onto online banking on Saturday, how could it be closed?

I got tired of chatting with a
... Show more

thomasdasta

Jul 13, 2012

SunTrust charged me a $7 maintenance fee for not have a daily collected balance over $500 when I had an avg daily balance of $2800. They said the daily collected balance can not go below $500. They change their policy every time to charge a fee. Or the opther option is to get direct deposit and not be charged a fee. They discrimate against people who do not receive direct deposit. Not everyone has the option. This is complete BS.

Corporations are bullies and are soleless. Move your account to a credit union and save yourself the headache.

Steve

Oct 08, 2011

Why does everyone writing on this site sound retarded? No wonder they are having so many problems with the way that they communicate.

maria renteria

Jun 16, 2011

I had recently wire transferred money from the US to Brazil on May 19th from my bank (Suntrust Bank). According to Suntrust, notified me that there wasn't any errors.

My complaint is that my beneficiary my brother-in law who has an account with Banco do Brazil(receiver) checked for the receiving of my money ($7,000 ) has never been received up to today's date (June 15/2011). No ends have an answer where my money is placed. One bank blames the other.
This money is an emergency. (June 15). Suntrust Bank is not willing to give back my money (recall) in which they say it may take 3-7 days and no actual evidence provided that Banco do Brazil even received this wire transfer.

I demand my money to be put back into my account immediately for withdrawal by July 1st. Could someone reach out and help? I don't know why Suntrust Bank would not release my fund back immediately and blaming that Banco do brazil has not communicated back.

theresa morris

Dec 14, 2010

NOVEMBER OF 2009 I TOOK MY CAR INTO KIA RIO DEALER IN WILLIAMSBURG PA. I DID NOT WANT A NEW CAR, BUT BEFORE I REALIZED IT CHRYSLER.KIA DEALER HAD SET ME UP WITH A NEW OPTIMA KIA DEALER, I ALREADY HAD A 569 TOYOTA PAYMENT AND A 469 LOAN PAYMENT WHICH INCLUDES THE KIA THE TOOK FROM ME AND SOLD IT. I KNEW THERE WAS NO WAY I COULD PAY FOR REALLY 3 VEHICLES I RECIEVE A VERY SMALL SOCIAL SECURITY AND A RATHER SMALL RETIREMENT. I CAN HARDLY MAKE END MEET AND NOW I SEND SUN-TRUST 15DOLLARS A MONTH, THEY SET IT UP FOR 25 DOLLAR A MONTH. WHICH I COULD NOT HANDLE. I TURNED THE CAR BACK TO THE BANK EXPLAINING WHAT HAD TRANSPIRED. AFTER THE VEHICLE WAS AUCTIONED OFF I STILL OWE THEN AROUND 8,000 DOLLARS, WHICH WILL TAKE THE REST OF MY LIFE TO PAY OFF. I STILL AVE 5 TO SIX YEARS TO PAY OFF THE TOYOTA AND THE RIO LOAN BECAUSE I PAID THAT VEHICLE OFF WITH A LOAN AND STILL I HAVE TO PAY FOR 2 VEHICLES THAT ARE NOT IN MY POSSESSION. THE SALES REP. TOLD HIS BOSS I WAS GIVING MY TOTOYA TO MY DAUGHTER. I DO NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN, FROM THE CORRESPONDENCE I RECIEVED. I WAS TOLD THE REASON SUN-TRUST FINANCE THIS VEHICLE WAS BECAUSE I HAD GOOD CREDIT. ITS NOT GOOD NOW BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE MONEY TO REPAIR MOLD, MIDEW AND RAIN FROM COMING INTO THE HOUSE. I HAD NO INTENTIONS OF PURCHASING A NEW VEHICLE. I WILL BE THE REST OF MY LIFE TRYING TO PAY FOR 2 VEHICLES. I TRIED TO GET BACK MY RIO FROM THE KIA DEALER, BUT I UNDERSTAND THEY SOLD IT FOR 6,000 DOLLARS AND I AM LEFT IN THIS TERRIBLE... Show more

Dave

Nov 09, 2010

Some of these sound like they might be legitimate grievances, but many of them sound like pretty standard consequences for falling short on your own responsibilities as a borrower. Moreover, it is difficult to take some of these issues seriously when so many of the complainants express such hostility with only a vague semblance of literacy.

If that's the way you are communicating with your bank and its representatives, it's not surprising that you are encountering difficulties and misunderstandings.

Take some accountability for your own behavior and your own responsibilities, people.

amy

Sep 15, 2010

i have a complaint and i feel so bad regarding this matter here it is: i bougth a car 1 year ago under my fathers name because i did not have a good credit, after 2 months to buy it my father passed away and i have been paying through 5 months,after 3 months without payment i call to suntrust bank to make an offer to pay an amount and change the cars title to my name , today when i wake up this morning the car was gone they took the car before giving me an answer,i dont know what to do , inside the car i have many things to picking up.

JL

Jul 19, 2010

Suntrust is the worse to do a "short Sale" as a Realtor. We are now going on a year and still can not get an answer from this bank. The main person that we have to speak with doesn't have a direct line, so you have to be transfered from Customer Service,which is the worst name for those people,or send an email and hope it gets answered. The bank made an offer of what they want on the house, and the sellers agreed. Its now been two weeks havent heard a thing, no answer to emails, calls or anything else. I dont understand why it is taking a year to do this. Have dealt with many other banks and never had one go this long. SUNTRUST NEEDS TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER.

Bad Bank is an understatement

Jul 10, 2010

Mad lady I just had the same problem with my car loan at SunTrust. My husband and I had made our payments through our online bank account at USAA to SunTrust. We did not realize that the payment for May had not posted after payment was sent, so we ended up being 38 days late on our car payment. As soon as I received my statement at the end of June we submitted both payments to SunTrust. On the 5th of July they repossessed my car saying they had never recieved our payments. I called BS on this and contacted my bank which stated the payment should have already been at SunTrust according to the tracer number on the wire transfer. I gave Suntrust the tracer number so they could locate the funds, but they refused to look up the information. They told me I had to submit the payment and pay an additional $450 to get my car out of repo. The person I spoke to at my bank said it sounded like they were trying to ignore the payment so that they could continue with the repo in order to obtain more money. The rep at my bank was excellent, he faxed over a letter stating that the payment had already been sent and should have already been received by their bank. SunTrust ignored the letter and stated that they had received the money, but that I was still going to have to pay the $450 to get the car out of repo. They person I dealt with at SunTrust was very rude and stated that I could either pay it or they would sell the car even if the payment had already been made. He said they... Show more

cheated by suntrust

May 18, 2010

I have read a few of the complains they are not even close to the bad practices they are doing to builders and developers. I had over $500,000.00 to draw on a development loan and all the work was complete. They would not give the money owed to me they demanded payment on total project in 3 days or lose project. Keep in mind I was never late on any payment. This is happening over and over causing every one that owns a house or property to lose value day after day. Also no need to waste time with the department of banking they will always side with bank.

crg

Jan 12, 2010

This was a whopper here. Winchester, Va. Suntrust cashed my son's payroll check which was stolen from a fellow worker. They did not even look at who the check was written to, just cashed the check since the girl who stole it used this branch frequently. Getting a little lax? I'd say. Branch manager totally in defense of the teller saying to collect the money from the bank where the payroll account originated. After much haggling, son finally got his money (not from Suntrust) - the girl who stole the check's punishment - get this - a letter of apology to my son while she sat in the police station. I was so infuriated at the whole shenanigan.

mdw

Sep 16, 2009

We have had a Suntrust Checking account for about a year well in the past month, we have lost about $2000 in overdraft fees and returned fees. We look at our account religiously, and before we go to bed we have the money to cover our account, but when we get up the next day and look we are overdrawn. My question is where did the money go? Nobody seems to be able to answer me, and of course I didn't think to print it off, so I am wrong!!! I have printed off and still been wrong! Does this happen to anyone else, because to hear them tell it I am the only one who has this problem of the internet banking site not be the same as theirs and say theres nothing I can do about it????? :?

mad lady

Aug 17, 2009

I have a car loan through suntrust. They are ridiculous to work with. They are forever "not receiving" my payments that I *** well send, the last time this happened I sent a payment and assumed they got it, the nest month sent another payment and all the sudden start getting calls saying they did not get either payment and they are going to Repo the car, I had a lady cursing at my husband over the phone and told him that she was going to make sure they took the car and that we would never get approved again for another loan... I eventually after talking to 2 supervisors told them what was going on, I had to cancel the checks through my bank and wire transfer the money to them and then fax them the paperwork from my banking as proof that all this was done just so they would not take my ONLY car... After I do this two weeks later they are calling me again saying they never got the money yet I wire transferred it to the information they gave to me.... I then had to go back to my bank and fill out paperwork for the funds that are MIA and pay to have them returned to me which took another two weeks now I technically owe them 3 payments plus had to pay crazy fee's to them and to my bank for canceled checks and to get the wire transfer returned... That bank sucks

Stay Away from SunTrust Mortga

Feb 13, 2009

SunTrust in Manassas, VA was the worst for a 1st Time Home Buyer. I put in my application in early December and received an approval. The Loan Officer got all of my paperwork (student loans, bank info, etc) in the beginning. Through the month of December and January she kept asking me for the same documents. I was scheduled to close on Jan 19, 2009 but that didn't happen; the loan officer said she needed more time and started coming up with numerous excuses about my debt to income ratio and asked for a closing extension to Jan 28, 2009. The other bank decided to pull out of the loan and wants to keep my earnest money deposit; now I have to attempt to get my deposit back because its over 30 days. From Dec 13 to Jan 28, 2009. SunTrust then sent me a denial letter on Feb 5 saying income and debt/ration. The loan officer had the nerve to say I was uncooperative--when every email she sent had a response to the paperwork she needed. She was not upfront about anything and was TERRIBLE!! If you visit Manassas VA and go to SunTrust be vary wary of A. King if she is your loan officer, go elsewhere! She was terrible.

TDawg

Dec 01, 2008

My car loan is through Suntrust and we have no branch locations in Texas. Im mad about the fact that you CANNOT make payments online through their website. That sucks and its a total inconvenience!

cam

Aug 05, 2008 Kroonstad, Free State

um - they gave us an 80/20 mortgage, a pmi of 250, and one quote prior to closing. the DAY of closing, they said they would no longer do the 80/20, the pmi is now $350 and said they were working with $322 instead of $333 numbers on the house. I ripped up the contract and Pulte was to keep $10,000 of our money for our lot deposit, which we no longer owned - AND we had already given up our rental to new renters. Nothing like putting a family with a 5-yr-old and 3-yr-old out on the street, eh? Due to my husband being heartbroken - here we are against my will in this *** house. Suntrust is full of sh&t and will be hearing from the feds on this one. Thanks for bringing this to my attention...

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Suntrust.
Filing a new complaint about
×